Recent Posts

Minggu, 08 September 2013

DIY Boozy Sour Cherries

Every time, I�ve decided to do some canning this summer I am reminded of my grandmother and my mom.

When I was growing up in Nebraska, these two matriarchs would spend countless hours in the kitchen preserving our garden�s apples, cherries, peaches and pears. I remember the canning process being a hot mess in the kitchen. Come winter though, I certainly didn�t mind having a bowl of preserved peaches for dessert.
It's the very end of cherry season at Hala Mirowska.
But I know my grandmother never would have thought about making a batch of boozy cherries like I did. For whatever reason, I decided I wanted to preserve some cherries and started looking for recipe ideas online. My husband likes making Manhattans now and then, so homemade maraschino cherries sounded like a good recipe.

Yet, most of the recipes I found called for ingredients that I don�t have such as:

Pomegranate juice
Pure cherry juice
Almond extract
Italian maraschino liqueur made from Marasca cherries

Sure, I�ll run right out to my nearest Trader Joe�s or Whole Foods. Oh, like 5,000 miles away from Poland! Maybe some of the ingredients can be found here, but I don�t know yet.

The Poles do make their own cherry liqueur, but the flavor reminds me a bit of cherry-flavored Nyquil. I don�t mind this liqueur as a shot now and then, but I didn�t want to steep a batch of fresh cherries in it.

So, let�s talk about commercial maraschino cherries. Have you ever looked at the ingredient listing on the back? It�s pretty disgusting! The label reads: cherries, corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, citric acid, natural and artificial flavors, potassium sorbate, sodium benzoate, FD&C red #40 (a petroleum-based product for that neon red color) and sulfur dioxide. (You can read how American maraschino cherries are basically bleached and processed here.)

I even found neon green and blue processed cherries at the store. Yuck!
So I found a way to make my own boozy cherries using whiskey. Bourbon would work well too. I don�t like drinking Manhattans, but I did like the flavor of these delicious boozed-up cherries. The recipe couldn�t be simpler too, I promise!

Hmm�.I�m wondering how these cherries would taste as an ice cream topping?

Cheers! Serefe! Na zdrowie!
Boozy sour cherries are the perfect garnish for a Manhattan cocktail.
Boozy Sour Cherries
Yields: 4-5 pints

500      g.         (16 oz.)            sour cherries (pitted) (Frozen ones would work here.)
Juice from                               1/2 a lemon
1          ea.                                vanilla bean, split2
1-2      ea.                                cinnamon stick
220      g.         (1 c.)                granulated sugar
500      ml.       (2 c.)                whiskey or bourbon

In a medium-sized pot, combine your booze of choice with the sugar, vanilla bean, cinnamon stick, sugar and lemon juice. Stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. If you have a gas burner, be very careful so your pot doesn�t flame up.

Place cherries in the jars. Ladle hot liquid into the jars, leaving a �-inch headspace. Seal.
You can either refrigerate the jars now, or proceed with canning. Place jars into boiling water and process for 10 minutes.

Once canned, let cool. Age in a cool, dark place.

So, who wants a jar of boozy sour cherries for Christmas?

More recipes:


More cherry ideas from a fabulous preserving site called Punk Domestics.

Pages

Diberdayakan oleh Blogger.

Text Widget