Recent Posts

Rabu, 08 Mei 2013

My Favorite Pazar in Istanbul: Photo Post


On Friday nights, dozens of Turkish men arrive at a nearby covered parking lot to start setting up for Saturday�s pazar in Besiktas.

They precariously hang strands of light bulbs and electrical cords across the ceiling. Worn tables are covered in brilliant blue plastic tarps. Wooden crates are stuffed to the brim with fresh produce from around the Turkey.

On almost every Saturday morning (when we aren�t traveling), we wake up and head to the pazar to see what new fruit and veggies there are that week. This is my favorite weekend activity, and the Besiktas pazar is my favorite one in Istanbul!

Sometimes I�ll post my latest produce findings on Instagram; and every now and then, I�ll post a recipe using said produce. But earlier this spring, I finally brought along my good camera and took a ton of photos. Yesterday, I finally edited these photos and wanted to share them with you.

I love the vibrancy of the fresh greens splayed out on the tables! The stall holders meticulously lay out their wares every week in neat, organized piles. Some even get artistic with the displays.
I never turn down an offer for a free sample. Olives, cheese, tomatoes, mandalina, strawberries, oranges � you can taste them all before you buy!

The pazar is a bustling, bedlam filled with people clamoring and bargaining over the price of that day�s fruits and vegetables. I could spend hours here.

Afiyet olsun!
Finike is one of the coastal districts of the Antalya province and is known for its oranges.
You know it's spring when �agla (unripe almonds) appear at the pazar.
You can eat the whole fuzzy thing - tart, citrusy and strange. I don't like them.
This seller of �z�m yaprak (grape leaves) grabbed my arm when he saw my camera and wanted to pose with me. He was a very jovial man.
Sevketi Bostan translates to Golden Thistle. This common plant can be simmered or grilled and eaten with olive oil and vinegar (or lemon) as a salad. In the Aegean region, it is cooked with meat or with chickpeas.

Pages

Diberdayakan oleh Blogger.

Text Widget