Recent Posts

Senin, 25 Juni 2012

Istanbul Gay Pride Parade: Photo Post

Sometimes you just happen to be in the right place at the right time.


Last night, we had just sat down at a restaurant in the Asmali Mescit neighborhood of Beyoglu. I ordered a glass of white wine, then suddenly heard whistles, drums and lots of people nearby. What was going on?


Of course, I wanted to find out so I grabbed my purse and told our waiter in my best Turkish that I'd be back in a minute. I'm sure he thought I was some crazy yabanci, but that's nothing new.


Once on Istiklal Caddesi, I saw the rainbow flags and LGBTT banners and realized I 
was in the midst of a gay pride parade in Istanbul.
June 24, 2012 Gay Pride Parade in Istanbul
I was surprised to see thousands of demonstrators chanting about gay rights in 
Turkish. I'm sure standing up for gay rights in a predominantly Muslim world 
isn't easy. So huge kudos to everyone who had the courage to do so yesterday!
I actually didn't find anything about this event in the Turkish news this morning. 
However, here is a link to a YouTube video "Kicking off Gay Pride Week in Istanbul."

I watched the crowd pass by for a few minutes, took a few photos and then 
rushed back to the restaurant. My husband didn't know where I was. Oops!
Note to self: you never know when might get that perfect photograph so ALWAYS bring
 the good camera with you.

Pages

Diberdayakan oleh Blogger.

Text Widget