Recent Posts

Rabu, 13 Agustus 2014

Changing My Opinion of Borough Market in London

When I first wandered around the Borough Market in London, I was not impressed.

Being the month of December, perhaps only half the stalls were open, which should have been expected. Even with the Christmas d�cor, I simply didn�t feel like I was in my happy place as I usually am when I visit foodie markets. Should I blame that offset feeling on London�s gray weather?
The saving grace was visiting my favorite cheesemonger, Neal�s Yard Dairy, which has a storefront nearby on Park Street. This place is a cheese lovers paradise filled with specialty cheeses from the U.K. and Ireland! The U.S. restaurants I worked at used to buy some of the company�s cheeses, so that�s how I first was introduced to Keen�s Cheddar, Lincolnshire and Stichelton. Every time we visit London or a Londoner visits us, I stock up on my favorite English cheeses.
Fast forward seven months, in July, I tagged along on one of my husband�s business trips to London. I decided to repay Borough Market a second visit after talking to his London colleague who was crestfallen that I didn�t love the market too!

This time, the market was bustling with people, many tourists, of course. Simply put, Borough Market felt more alive than my first visit.
I tried some so-so pad Thai, but then I sampled some yummy Turkish delights from the friendly Turks.
The market features cuisines and products from all over the world including: Croatia, India, Italy, Spain and even American desserts.
The moist (nut-free) chocolate brownie I bought was easily the best I�ve had outside the U.S. except for my own, of course. I followed that sweet treat with a refreshing IPA beer at the nearby Wheatsheaf.
I wandered by several stalls selling fresh, seasonal produce.
The market had everything that any foodie would love! So this time, I was very pleased!

I still cannot put my finger on why I disliked the Borough Market so much on my first visit, but I�m happy I gave it a second chance.
The nearby Wine Wharf looked like the perfect place to spend happy hour, especially when it's buy one glass, get one free from 4-7 p.m.
Location:
Borough Market
8 Southwark Street, London (A short walk from the London Bridge Underground stop.)

Pages

Diberdayakan oleh Blogger.

Text Widget