Recent Posts

Rabu, 25 September 2013

Making a Turkish Feast at Home in Warsaw

It only seems appropriate that I post about Turkish food today as I�m headed to Istanbul this afternoon.

I know it�s only been two months since my last visit when I enjoyed my Breakfast by the Bosphorus, but I simply cannot stay away! Like a first love, Istanbul completely stole my heart when we lived there, and I miss my friends.

Funny enough, I probably have cooked more Turkish food at our home here in Warsaw than I even did in Istanbul. I no longer can call up Ali Baba and get a quick dinner delivery or stop by the kebab vendor down the street. If I want Turkish food, I best make it myself.

Sure, Warsaw is full of d�ner kebab vendors all over the city, but it�s definitely not the same. I don�t want some strange tomato or yogurt sauce in my d�ner.

I�ve always loved Turkish mezes! So a few weeks ago, I invited a new couple over for dinner and decided to make kabak yogurtlu (zucchini with yogurt), patlican salatasi (roasted eggplant with yogurt) and Turkish shakshuka/saksuka (fried eggplant with tomatoes and yogurt). Luckily, I�ve found several brands of thick Greek yogurt here that works quite well to substitute for Turkish yogurt.
Here are my meze dishes of  patlican salatasi and kabak yogurtlu.
I turned to three of my favorite Turkish food bloggers for my recipes and inspiration � Claudia of A Seasonal Cook in Turkey, Ilke of Ilke�s Kitchen and Ozlem of Ozlem�s Turkish Table. Luckily, I�ve met all of these lovely ladies in person when I lived in Istanbul and love reading their blogs from afar. I highly recommend checking them out for delicious Turkish recipes!

I used a combination of recipes for the shakshuka/saksuka from Ozlem and Claudia. Check out both recipes here: Fried aubergine eggplant, courgette and peppers with tomato sauce and Shakshuka Aubergine Meze.
Be sure to serve plenty of bread with this meze as you'll want to eat every last drop of it!
We can find decent eggplant here in Poland so I�ve used Claudia�s recipe several times now to make my own patlican salatasi. So simple and so delicious! I use a mortar to crush my garlic with salt before mixing in with my yogurt.
My market haul to make to make this Turkish meal at home.
For the third meze, I used Ilke�s recipe for kabak yogurtlu. This is another simple, but delicious recipe.

For a salad course, I made this summery Turkish tomato-pomegranate salad called gavurdagi salad. I realize we also tried this yummy salad when we were on our southeast Turkey road trip last year in Gaziantep.
Finally, for our main course, I made stuffed peppers Turkish-style�otherwise known as biber dolmasi, which is my version. I�ve made these dolmas so many times now that it�s easy enough to make vegetarian versions as well as differently spiced ones depending on what I have at home.
Looks like no matter, where I live, I�ll always find a way to make some of my favorite Turkish recipes too.

Smacznego!

Pages

Diberdayakan oleh Blogger.

Text Widget