Recent Posts

Kamis, 24 Januari 2013

Turkish Lamb and Bean G�ve�



It�s been a long while since I made a proper Turkish g�ve�.

If you remember, a Turkish g�ve� is a casserole cooked in a special earthenware dish. In some ways, this Turkish dish is similar to the American casserole where you throw together some vegetables, meat, spices and perhaps a starch like potatoes or rice all in a pot. You let the pot slowly simmer to allow the meat to get tender and the juices to mingle.

The g�ve� is a perfect winter dish, but it�s one that�s also enjoyed all year round particularly during our visits to Cappadocia.

I don�t normally eat lamb, but I decided to try making a lamb g�ve�for my husband. This involved a trip down to my friendly butcher guys at Kardesler Kasabi in Besiktas where I asked for kuzu boyun (lamb neck) as recommended from a friend.

Clearly, my butcher was not happy with that choice as he shook his head. �Az et. Ne yapiyorsunuz?� (Little meat. What are you making?)

I explained in Turkish that I wanted to make kuzu etli kuru fas�lye g�ve� (lamb with white beans casserole).

My butcher went into the meat walk-in and came back out with kuzu kol (lamb shoulder) and told me this cut was much better.

Who am I to argue with my butcher? I think he�s a saint for putting up with this yabanci. I even brought them a batch of chocolate-mint cookies for New Year�s for being so kind to me all the time.

Well, you may not have an amusing scene with your butcher like I did, I promise this lamb g�ve� will melt in your mouth and warm your belly.

Afiyet olsun!
Turkish lamb & bean g�ve�  served in individual clay g�ve� dishes.
Turkish Lamb and Bean G�ve�/(Kuzu Etli Kuru Fas�lye G�ve�)
(Adapted from The Sultan�s Kitchen� by Ozcan Ozan)
Serves: 6

Ingredients:
2          oz.                   unsalted butter
1          T.                     Turkish olive oil
1          ea.                    large onion, diced
4-6       ea.                    garlic cloves, chopped
3          ea.                    carrots, medium diced
1          lg.                    potato, medium diced

1          kilo (2.2 #)       lamb shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes (kuzu kol kusbasi)

1          400 g.              can of diced tomatoes
1          large can          white beans or 2 cups dried white beans soaked overnight, drained
1          T.                     tomato paste
1          tsp.                  ground cumin
1          tsp.                  pul biber (optional)
2          cups                 beef/lamb stock or water
2          cups                 green peppers, sliced (4-5 dolma biber)
TT                                salt and freshly ground black pepper

1.         In a large, heavy casserole dish, heat the butter and oil. Add the onions and garlic. Sweat the vegetables until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
2.         Next, add the carrots, potato and lamb. Cook for several minutes until the lamb is browned. (I added the lamb bones too for extra flavor.)
3.         Then, add the tomatoes, beans, tomato paste, spices, beef stock or water. Season with salt and pepper. Cover the pot with a lid and simmer for 45 minutes-1 hour. While cooking, check to see if you may need to add more liquid.
4.         If you used dried beans, the casserole will need about another hour to cook the beans until they are tender. If you want, you can transfer the pot to the oven and continue cooking at 350F/175C.
5.         Since I used canned beans, I just added the green peppers towards the end of the 1 hour and let cook for 5-10 minutes.     
6.         Serve the g�ve� with chopped parsley and rice pilaf on the side.

Pages

Diberdayakan oleh Blogger.

Text Widget