Recent Posts

Senin, 05 November 2012

Odd Things from America I Bring to Turkey


Living as an expat in Istanbul, I have learned to adapt or go without certain familiar items such as English magazines and pork.

I use my computer and Kindle to read articles and books in English. Sometimes, a friend will pass around an English magazine or old paperback among the group. 

To get my pork fix, I order a domuz pizza now and then or defrost some of the pork stash from our freezer. But I do miss grilled pork chops and BBQ pork. (I grew up in the Midwest so I can't help it.)

But there are certain items I miss from home that I can�t find in Istanbulor these things are much, much cheaper back in America.

During October, I spent 3 weeks in the U.S. visiting family and friends for an early Christmascelebration. It was a hectic trip across seven states and involved planes, trains, automobiles, taxis and the subway, but it was nice to see everyone for a little while at least. This is what happens when you normally only go back once a year to your homeland.

Along the way, I purchased many food items that I miss from home such as inexpensive, but awesomely good Mexican spices from my hometown, as well as a new winter coat and athletic shoes for my gigantic size 40 EU feet. I even had my old Japanese chef knife sharpened when I was in NYC, and it survived all the airports in my checked bag.

I swear the TSA personnel must have a heyday when they look through my suitcases. There�s not a lot of clothes, just a lot of other odd things.
My collection of goodies from my recent U.S. trip.
Other odd items I bring back from America to Turkey:

  • Cookie cutters (Though I love searching in Emin�n� for my baking supplies, the selection in the U.S. is much greater).
  • Exotic ingredients such as kaffir lime leaves (I bought these at the Spice Corner, 29th Street and Lexington Avenue in NYC). Can�t wait to create some spicy Asian recipes with these this winter.
  • Grits from Charleston, S.C. (I couldn�t resist this purchase either and plan to make shrimp and grits for my Thanksgivingdinner this year.)
    A variety of pork products and cheese from the U.S.





















  • Pork and foreign cheeses�need I say more. I�m a bit obsessed with pork (as I've mentioned in previous posts) and ate it nearly every day when I was in the U.S. In fact, I ate a little too much because now I need to go on a detox diet for the winter.
  • English magazines and culinary books. Bookstores are a dangerous place for me. I can spend hours browsing through all the titles and reading the covers. The only problem is that books take up a lot of luggage weight.
In NYC, I stopped into Strand Bookstore and found �The Sweet Life in Paris� by David Lebovitz and �Female Nomad andFriends: Breaking Free & Breaking Bread Around the World� by Rita Goldman Gelman. Earlier this summer, I met author Goldman Gelman when she was visiting Istanbul and enjoyed hearing her speak about her travels around the world as a single woman. She spent four months in Turkey. I highly recommend this book and her first one called �Tales of a Female Nomad.� I love reading culinary related materials!

    These items are just a sampling of the odd things I bring back from America to Turkey.

    If you are an expat, what type of things do you miss from your homeland? Do you �smuggle� odd food items and ingredients like I do?

    Pages

    Diberdayakan oleh Blogger.

    Text Widget