Recent Posts

Selasa, 17 Desember 2013

Exploring Winter Wonderland in London

I can�t believe that just last week we were in London! Time certainly has flown by!

Since this was only my second trip to London and it�s Christmastime, I wanted to make sure I saw some of the Christmas markets. Sadly, I only had time for one market as our flight from Warsaw first was delayed by 2 hours, then canceled and finally rescheduled for 5 hours later in the day. We finally arrived in London around 6 p.m. with just enough time to enjoy a fantastic dinner at NOPI Restaurant (from the creators behind the Jerusalemand Plentycookbooks.)

One day while my husband was working, I strolled over to Hyde Park to explore the Christmas Market as part of the Winter Wonderland. I was envisioning rustic Christmas stalls filled with handmade goodies not a park full of glitzy carnival rides for children.
Winter Wonderland at Hyde Park in London. 
I finally found the Angel�s Market which is home to about 100 wooden stalls selling everything from Christmas decorations to homemade candies to leather wallets and Turkish lamps. (I seem to find a Turkish store wherever I go!) The market is open daily, except Christmas Day, through January 5.
The Winter Wonderland entrance near the Hyde Park Corner tube station.
And you can't leave a Christmas market without buying a Turkish lamp! 
Lots of food and drink options at least!
Of course, you'll find several stalls selling mulled wine and hot chocolate too!
You can avoid the carnival ride section by taking the London tube to the Hyde Park Corner exit and following the signs to Winter Wonderland. I discovered that little tidbit after I walked through everything. Oh well!

The market is a little over the top, and I didn�t find as many authentic-looking, handmade Christmas decorations as I had hoped. I did buy two wooden decorations made from Black Forest wood in Germany. Guess next year, we need to visit one of the real Christmas markets in Germany!

I concluded my market visit in London by eating a grilled German bratwurst and drinking a pint of Weiss beer. A Christmas market doesn�t get any more authentic that, right?
Mmm...grilled German brats!
Some tasty looking candies!
There's even an ice skating rink at Hyde Park.
And if you wander off to the side of the market, you'll find a pond with these white geese in Hyde Park.

Pages

Diberdayakan oleh Blogger.

Text Widget