Recent Posts

Kamis, 02 Februari 2012

Snowball Fights, Snowmen in Sultanahmet


Surviving Istanbul's worst winter in 30+ years

Dressed in three layers of tights, two woolen hats and one winter coat, yesterday I ventured into Sultanahmet with my camera.

I wanted to take some photos of Istanbul's most-visited historical buildings covered in a white veil of snow. This was the quietest I have ever seen Sultanahmet!
The Ayasofya covered in snow!
Apparently, I still looked like a tourist and was stopped by several Turkish men while I treaded carefully on the snowy roads. No, I don't want to buy a carpet. I live in Istanbul, and I want to take pictures of the snow. Yes, the view is �ok g�zel.

The snow fell quickly. Then, it stopped, and the sun came out for awhile. But the snow would start up again and the wind would start blowing. In between, the snow coming down like dollops of  fluffy meringue, I snapped as many photos as I could.

Over by the K���k Ayasofya Camii (Little Hagia Sophia Mosque), five young, local kids recruited me for a friendly snowball fight, and I built a small snowman for them. The oldest gal, about 12 years-old or so, spoke a little English and she told me they've never had so much snow to play in Istanbul.
These were some of playmates in the snow yesterday in Sultanahmet.
I enjoyed the snow and walking through the eerily quiet Sultanahmet, but I'd like the sun to come back please!
The quiet Hippodrome and the Blue Mosque in the background.
I loved the way the sun came out when I was on this colorful street.

Turkish pride by the K���k Ayasofya Camii in Sultanahmet. 
Abandoned in Sultanahmet
Taking a break from the snowstorm at Sokollu Mehmet Pasa Camii. 
These kids were quite the hams for my camera.
Then, the sun came out again by the Blue Mosque.
Some local street workers put the finishing touch on this snowman near
the Sultanahmet tramvay.

Pages

Diberdayakan oleh Blogger.

Text Widget