Recent Posts

Minggu, 04 Desember 2011

Mandalina & More at Yalikavak Pazari




For my recent baking classes in Ortakent, I luckily had the chance to stock up on fresh supplies at one of my favorite places - a pazar.


Asli Mutlu, owner of Erenler Sofrasi in Ortakent, took me to the Thursday pazar in Yalikavak, a small fishing village about 18 km northwest of Bodrum. Once I laid eyes on all the stalls full of fresh mandalina at the pazar, I was in heaven! These super taze and bright orange mandalina were being sold for only 1 TL per kilo! We bought a few kilos, and later I used some in my cranberry-mandalina bundt cake.


We also bought pears, pumpkins, walnuts, cheese, some spices and a few other things for the restaurant and my class.


At one stall, I saw this orange pile of sugary delights. But ne?


Candied kumquats, I was told. Sweet! I've never seen these in Istanbul except for a few very overpriced fresh packets at Macrocenter. I'm actually surprised not to see kumquats in Turkey considering how much citrus and other sour-tasting fruits are grown here.


My suitcase now contains a small bag of these candied kumquats. I'm envisioning a new recipe involving a delicious pound cake with slivers of these kumquats in my near future!


Afiyet olsun!


 http://www.erenler-sofrasi.com/ 

Pages

Diberdayakan oleh Blogger.

Text Widget