Recent Posts

Sabtu, 24 Desember 2011

Making Mercimek Soup in Nebraska

Some people are resistant to change. Stubborn is another word.

My father, whom I love dearly, is one of these people.
 
I am my father�s daughter because I can be quite stubborn too. Ask my husband. But I am always open to new ideas, especially regarding new food.
 
While I was visiting my family in Nebraska, I wanted to share some of the cuisine that I enjoy in Turkey such as Karniyarik (split-belly eggplant) or k�fte (Turkish grilled lamb meatballs). I ended up not cooking as much as I had intended because I was too busy savoring my mother�s boneless beef ribs, spicy chicken wings, pulled BBQ pork, roast beef and gravy on toast, steak and other familiar delights in my home state. (I did bake a batch of my Grandma�s anise-flavored lebkuchen. If you like drinking Raki, then you will probably enjoy this dessert!)

I did find the time to make a simple batch of one of my favorite Turkish soups � mercimek corbasi (lentil soup). In Istanbul, I often order this hearty, chicken-broth based soup for lunch and a side of tost. It�s the Turkish version of a grilled cheese sandwich with soup � though they often aren�t served together at the same time as I would like.
 
Now, the last time I made anything with lentils for my dad was nearly 9 or 10 years ago. I remember this quite clearly because after I served him my summer lentil salad with fresh herbs and balsamic vinaigrette, he replied �What is this? Rabbit pellets?�

This comes from a man who is clearly a meat-and-potatoes kind of guy year-round. My mother serves potatoes � mashed, boiled, roasted or baked � with nearly every meal! But I was determined (aka...stubborn) to convince my dad that lentils were healthy and delicious.

At the supermarket, I only could find green lentils next to the bags of dried beans. I was hoping to find red lentils, but that would have been asking a lot. I also bought some containers of organic low-fat, low-sodium chicken broth. (There are two versions of mercimek �orbasi in Turkey: red and green. You can find other recipes here at my friend�s blog: A Seasonal Cook in Turkey.)

In my mother�s kitchen, I set about preparing the few ingredients one needs to make mercimek �orbasi - onion, garlic (though not traditional), a little vegetable oil, chicken broth, salt, pepper and cumin.

After cooking and blending, I served dad a bowl of my mercimek �orbasi in my mother�s good china. Would it pass my father�s critical eye? I wondered.

My father raised his eyebrows up at me, skeptical, as I set the bowl in front of him.

After a few bites, I asked him what he thought of my Turkish soup.

�Well, it�s something after I added the crackers,� he said.

Sigh! Lesson learned � I will never change my father�s opinion about lentils.

Afiyet olsun!
Green lentil soup served with a drizzle of paprika melted butter on top.

Mercimek �orbasi/Lentil Soup
(Adapted from the recipe learned in my Turkish Flavours cooking class in Istanbul.)
 
Ingredients:

1          lb.        dried green lentils (yesil mercimek), soaked overnight
1          lg.        onion, chopped small
4-5       ea.        Garlic cloves, chopped small
2          T.         sunflower or vegetable oil
2          T.         flour
2          qts.      Chicken stock/broth, hot
1          tsp.      cumin
To taste           salt and freshly ground black pepper

1.      Place lentils in a container covered with water and refrigerate overnight. (This will help speed up the cooking process.)

2.      On the following day, using a large pot, heat the oil and saut� the onion and garlic for five minutes, just until tender.

3.      Then, add the flour and stir continuously for 2 or 3 minutes. (You are basically making a roux here.)

4.      Next, slowly pour in the hot chicken stock a little at a time and stir continuously, so you don�t create lumps in your soup. You should end up with a smooth, thickened mixture.

5.      Now, add the drained lentils. Discard the water. Season with salt, pepper and cumin. Bring the soup to a simmer, cooking over medium heat for 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender.

6.      Using a hand immersion blender or a regular blend, pulse/blend the soup. It doesn�t need to be completely smooth.

7.      Ladle the soup into warmed soup bowls. Garnish with a drizzle of melted paprika or spicy red pepper butter.
I used my mother's avocado-green blender (a wedding present in 1972) to blend my
lentil soup. The blender is older than me and still going strong!

Pages

Diberdayakan oleh Blogger.

Text Widget