Recent Posts

Rabu, 07 Desember 2011

Expat Life: Where Is Home?

Today, I�m flying back to the U.S. for the first time in a whole year - the longest I�ve ever been away from �home.�

In the midst of a crazy frenzy of packing and last-minute Christmas shopping, I�ve been thinking where IS home for me?

In Turkey, when someone asks me where am I from, I have an easy response ready.

Amerikaliyim, ama simdi Istanbul�da oturyurum.� (I am American, but now I am living in Istanbul.)

The longest I�ve lived in the same place is in the state where I grew up - Nebraska. My parents, brother and other relatives are still there or in Kansas and Iowa. But I haven�t called Nebraska home per se for 13 years.
2005: A fun picture my dad took of me at a John Deere plant in Nebraska.
When I visited my hometown last year, I felt out of place. It�s a whole different way of life to me now after living in large metropolitan cities for seven years. Sure, some things still resonate with me like listening to and singing along with old country music songs on the radio, visiting the local cafe where everyone knows my dad and eating a simple, but delicious steak and potatoes dinner.

I�m happy to see my family and friends back home, but I wouldn�t see myself living there again.

I also called NYC home for 3 years. I loved my life there, especially being involved and working in the restaurant industry. But I�m not sure I can call it home either - maybe a pit stop for a slice of NY pizza and visiting old friends.
2006: Mom and me in NYC
Baltimore, MD., - a view of the inner harbor.
We most recently lived in Baltimore, MD, before moving to Istanbul. Our townhouse is still there, and I miss my roofdeck garden and local restaurants. However, is that city home?

The easiest answer now is that Turkey has become my home - where I live. I�ve tried hard to embrace the language, culture and daily life as much as possible. I don�t live in a �bubble� like some expats I�ve met.
A view of Istanbul - the city that's stolen my heart! =)
I think that�s why I�ve fallen hard for Turkey.

Sure some things are annoying and incovenient like taxi drivers that try and rip you off because you are the yabanci or trying to find a whole turkey for Thanksgiving. But at the same time, Jason and I have made a new life for ourselves in a foreign land that I love! (And yes, we still miss our friends and family back in the U.S. too.)

On my way back to our apartment last night, I got a little misty eyed as I crossed the Galata Bridge over the Bosphorus in the tramvay. Maybe it�s possible to call two countries home for now!

Where is �home� for you?

Pages

Diberdayakan oleh Blogger.

Text Widget